As the weather gets colder, there is nothing like a nice stew to warm your palate. This beef stew recipe is easy and can be cooked in a slow cooker while you work or run errands. In just a few hours on a high setting you can have a great family meal. I like to experiment with ingredients and tonight I tried adding a bit of tumeric to my stew beef.
- Beef stew meat
- 1 onion sliced in quarters or eighths
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of soya sauce
- 3 basil leaves
- mini potatoes halved
- baby carrots
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch and 2 tablespoons of cold water mixed
- white or brown rice
- Preheat frying pan at medium heat
- Marinate beef stew cubed in 1 inch pieces with oyster sauce, soya sauce, minced garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and tumeric for at least 30 minutes
- Add olive oil to pan and brown beef stew meat in the frying pan for approximately 5-10 minutes
- Add sliced onion to the frying pan and stir for 5 minutes.
- Turn on slow cooker to high heat (approx. 3–4 hours cook time) or low heat (approx. 6 hours cook time)
- Add beef broth to slow cooker
- Add potatoes and baby carrots to slow cooker
- Add beef stew and onions from frying pan to slow cooker
- After approximately 3 hours if stew gravy in slow cooker is watery mix cornstarch in COLD water until it is fully dissolved and pour into slow cooker (this will thicken the gravy)
- After approximately 4 hours check if stew is tender and serve stew with white or brown rice.
If you have some red wine at home it also, makes a good addition to the recipe (add a 1/2 a cup to the slow cooker if you have some handy and reduce the beef stock by a half cup in the recipe below). This is comfort food and it makes a hearty dinner. It makes for great leftovers too.