I don’t normally make meatballs but, today I had a craving for pasta and made some spaghetti sauce with meatballs.
I improvised on the meatball ingredients and added Panko instead of Italian Bread Crumbs.
Ingredients for Meatballs:
- Lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 3 leaves of chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon of Soya sauce
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of Panko bread crumbs
Directions for Meatballs:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl
- Hand make the meatballs by hand
- Fry the meatballs in a frying pan to brown all sides
- Boil the spaghetti/linguine noodles in a boiling pot of water with salt as you are cooking the meatballs
- Simmer meatballs in the tomato sauce until the meatballs are fully cooked (approximately 10-15 minutes)
The homemade tomato sauce was simply made with a can of crushed tomatoes (unsalted).
Directions for Tomato Sauce:
- Boil and simmer the crushed tomatoes with onion, carrot, basil/oregano and cloves of garlic.
- Take the chunks of onion, carrot and garlic out afterwards (if you want it less lumpy you can strain and blend it in a food processor before simmering and serving with the meatballs and linguine/spaghetti)
- For best results and flavour make sure to mix the cooked meatballs in the tomato sauce
Don’t forget to sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.