When I was in Italy I loved the fresh bread that they made their sandwiches/paninis with and so, I thought what would be better than a flatbread pizza made with focaccia bread? If you’re having a pizza craving and like focaccia bread, this recipe is for you. This recipe is simple and you don’t have to worry about making the pizza dough.
The fun of making pizza is choosing the ingredients and layering them on to make a beautiful edible masterpiece.
The Fokachio bread was made by Manoucher Bread and bought at a local grocery store/fine food market. It’s ingredients included: wheat flour, water, olive oil, yeast, salt and herbs. My pizza was then layered with olive oil and minced garlic, fresh basil leaves, sliced tomato, prosciutto, Italian sausage and mozzarella cheese.
- Fokachio Bread (Manoucher Bread)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 Italian Sausage
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- Place Fokachio bread on foil on a flat baking pan
- Grease foil with olive oil
- Mix minced garlic, a pinch of salt, and olive oil in a small bowl
- Add basil leaves on Fokachio bread
- Pour mixture and spread/brush all over the top of the Fokachio bread
- Add tomato slices on the flatbread
- Place pieces of prosciutto onto flatbread
- Cook Italian sausage (boil for 10 minutes) and slice
- Place slices of sausage on pizza
- Grate mozzarella cheese (approximately a cup or as much as you prefer) and sprinkle on top of flatbread pizza
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees and bake flatbread pizza for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted and tomatoes look cooked.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for a couple minutes and slice and serve.
I enjoyed this flatbread pizza a lot and I hope you do too. I think I would try a goat cheese white pizza next.